In the past, there was a difference between the government (community) and private schools in Nepal. These days, community schools have improved their reputation by providing quality education, life-long skill development, and competition in the global market.
According to my research, the following seven schools are the top/best community schools in Nepal:
- Kalika Manavgyan Seconday School, Rupandehi
- Viswa Niketan Secondary School, Kathmandu
- Gyanodaya Secondary School (GSS), Kathmandu
- Bal Uddhar Secondary School (BUSS), Kathmandu
- Padmodaya Secondary School, Dang,
- Ratna Rajya Secondary School, Kathmandu and
- Tarun Secondary School, Kathmandu.
- 1 1. Kalika Manavgyan Secondary School, Rupandehi / कालिका मानवज्ञान माध्यमिक विद्यालय
- 2 2. Viswa Niketan Secondary School, Kathmandu / विश्व निकेतन माध्यमिक विद्यालय
- 3 3. Gyanodaya Secondary School (GSS), Kathmandu / ज्ञानोदय माध्यमिक विद्यालय
- 4 4. Bal Uddhar Secondary School (BUSS), Kathmandu / बालउद्धार माध्यमिक विद्यालय
- 5 5. Padmodaya Secondary School / पद्मोदय माध्यमिक विद्यालय, दाङ
- 6 6. Ratna Rajya Secondary School / रत्नराज्य माध्यमिक विद्यालय
- 7 7. Tarun Secondary School (TSS), Kathmandu / तरुण माध्यमिक विद्यालय
Kalika Secondary School located in Butwal Sub-metropolitan, Rupandehi district of Lumbini Zone was established in 2018 B.S. (1961 A.D.) with the help of residents; most of them were ex-armies. They realized the importance of quality education for their children and set up an open ground in the southern part of Kalikanagar. After a few months, the school was transferred to cow shade and then to the present place. It was a primary school when established. The school upgraded as a lower secondary in 2029 B.S. and secondary level in 2032 B.S.
Now, this school is a leading community school in the Rupandehi district. It has been able to be A Grade School in Nepal through good management, providing quality education, and dedicated teachers. The school is one of the ISA-certified community schools in Nepal.
Kalika Secondary school offers both General and Technical Education. In General, the school offers ECD to class 12, and in the Technical stream, the school offers Computer Engineering from class 9 to 12.
In ten plus two programs school offers Science, Computer Engineering, Management, Education, Humanities, and law faculties. Now, 8081 students are studying in this school. It is the highest number of students in the Community School of Nepal. 275 teaching and 35 non-teaching staff are working in this school.
Viswa Niketan Secondary School is a community school with a long and glorious academic history. The school had established in 2003 B.S. with the sole objective and purpose of imparting quality education to students from all spheres of society.
The school resides in a peaceful environment away from the clatters and clamors of the city at Tripureswor, Kathmandu. There are more than 6000 students currently studying in two shifts, morning and day, at various levels from Nursery to Grade XII. Under the government policy, the school provides free education to students from grades 1 to 10, freeships for genuine and economically weaker students in grades 11 and 12, and scholarships for deserving students for their academic excellence.
In ten plus two programs, the school offers a world of opportunities for students to study in five various streams Science, Management, Education, Humanities, Law, and technical wings Electrical Engineering.
3. Gyanodaya Secondary School (GSS), Kathmandu / ज्ञानोदय माध्यमिक विद्यालय
Gyanodaya Secondary School (GSS) is a community-based school that was established in 2020 A.D.(1963 BS), located in Purano Kalimati, Bafal, Kathmandu, Nepal. It is affiliated with the National Examinations Board (NEB) for Grades one to ten. In ten plus two programs, the school offers Science and Management streams.
GSS provides school-level education with moderate fee structures with a scholarship scheme for those students who cannot pay money for donations as requested by the school.
- Science Lab
- ICT facilitated classrooms
- Conference hall
- Computer Lab
4. Bal Uddhar Secondary School (BUSS), Kathmandu / बालउद्धार माध्यमिक विद्यालय
BUSS was established in 2046 B.S. (1990 A.D.) with the great support of residents, educationists, intellectuals, politicians, and all other well-wishers. This academic institution explores a platform for the holistic development of our students.
BUSS has been imparting quality education as a leading community school in the area. It was a long-felt need and frequently to set up a qualitative community school to render quality education to students from every nook and corner of the country. The school offers educational activities to the student as per the wish of parents, locals, and stakeholders.
There are around sixteen hundred students from play group to grade XII with sixty-five qualified teaching and non-teaching staff. Students from more than fifty-six districts and neighboring country India are obtaining quality education in this school. BUSS is one of the destinations to shape the career of many aspirants despite their economic and geographical hindrances.
School offers general and vocational education; in General education, BUSS operates from grade play group to twelve and Vocational Education computer courses from grades nine to twelve in affiliation with the National Education Board (NEB). Under the general stream, we have classes from ECD to Grade XII.
In ten plus two programs, BUSS offers Science, Management, Education, Humanities, and Law faculties. The school has 24/7 CCTV surveillance in class and grounds. The government of Nepal has recently selected the school as a model community school of the country year.
Seventy-three qualified, experienced, and well-trained teaching faculties and dedicated non-teaching staff are working hard to achieve its objectives.
Vision and objectives:
The school believes in inculcating quality education according to the need for time for the holistic development of the students. BUSS is committed to making our students well-integrated persons; spiritually, socially, intellectually, morally, and culturally.
Our vision is to prepare globally competent individuals by encouraging them to become responsible, reflective, and empowered learners. We envision our graduate leaves the school with the following attributes:
BUSS is best because:
- Caring, loving, and supportive educational environment.
- Inculcation of positive attitudes and respect for discipline.
- Experienced, highly qualified, and dedicated faculty members.
- Student–oriented teaching-learning methodology.
- Nepali and English medium classes.
- Remedial supporting classes for needy students.
- Resourceful library with ample references.
- Well-managed pre-primary classes.
- All types of well-equipped labs (Science lab, one of the best high-tech computer labs in Nepal).
- Audio-visual classrooms.
- Nursing station with a professional nurse.
- Periodic ECA and CCA.
- Frequent Field visits.
- Level-wise Picnic programs.
- Planned and well-managed excursions and outings.
- Parents and teachers meeting on a regular intervals of time.
- Clean and hygienic school cafeteria.
- Well-managed auditorium hall.
- Spacious, airy, and clean playground.
- Participation in national and international sports and games.
- Special Privileges for backward communities, Dalit, and Indigenous.
- Regular counseling for drenched students by the specialist.
- Continuous Assessment System (CAS).
Dance, Music, Multimedia classroom, Library, Cafeteria, Tour, Parking, Counseling, Conference Hall, etc.
Padmodaya Secondary School, Dang is a model community school since 2005; established in 1947 AD (2004 BS) in Bharatpur, Ghorahi, Dang district of Nepal.
It is one of the oldest community (Government) schools in Nepal. It has been running nursery classes to twelve and technical programs.
Padmodaya School had affiliated with National Examinations Board (NEB) and Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT). It has both English and Nepali medium instruction.
School is working for a complete English medium environment in the nearest future. It offers ten plus two programs such as Science, Management, Humanities, and Education streams with Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Junior Computer Technician, TSLC IN Social Mobilization, and TSLC in Electrical Engineering (Electrical Sub-overseer).
To provide quality technical training targeted for participants in the mid-western region of the country.
To change the life status of people from marginalized communities and disadvantaged groups through technical training.
- To increase skilled human resources in the Rapti zone, make an image in the nation, and decrease unemployment.
- To increase access to Dalits, women, marginalized communities, and disadvantaged groups through technical education.
- To provide employment opportunities in the nation through vocational training for unskilled youths.
- To conduct technical education training for unemployed youths who want to employ themselves in district or nation-building.
- To identify local resources on proper utilization for job placement through technical education training.
- Science Lab
- Computer Lab
- Conference Hall
School provides school transportation facilities to interested students. More than six thousand students are getting a quality education.
6. Ratna Rajya Secondary School / रत्नराज्य माध्यमिक विद्यालय
Ratna Rajya Secondary School was established on 28 April 1960 (Bikram Sambat 2017-1-16) as a community-based co-educational school, located in Mid Baneshwor, Kathmandu, Nepal. It is affiliated with the National Examinations Board (NEB) and approved by the Ministry of Education. It offers Plus Two programs under Management, Humanities, and Education streams.
(A) Teaching and Learning in English medium
As the demand for the English language is increasing in the world market and to raise the standard of education of the community schools, the school started an English medium.
(B) Creating a child-friendly environment
A child-friendly environment was started by studying the psychology of children, willpower, ability, emotions, and problems.
(C) House partition and additional activities
The students started studying in the school, splitting the houses called Everest, Gaurishankar, Annapurna, and Dhaulagiri, and began to expose their inherent talents.
(D) Improvement through interaction
The school management committee, principals, assistant principals, department heads, class teachers, and student representatives improve the quality of education and mobilize financial resources. Such as:
1. Ratnashree mother group and literacy campaign
Dr. Geeta Shivakoti Kharel, principal of the school, started literacy classes for neighboring mothers and parents.
2. Provision of first aid
The school could not provide primary treatment for their students at that time. Although with the help of Ganga Medicalhall, started first aid treatment inside the school premises.
3. Question paper preparation and examination
The school started to form question papers and conducted examinations in a time-bound manner initiated by maintaining confidentiality which helped unit development, and monthly and annual exams for the intellectual development of the children.
4. Provision of prizes for teachers and students
The school had started a permanent fund (cannot use the seed money) with the support of the renowned people of Baneshwor. The school started rewarding the zealous students and teachers every year from the interest of the permanent fund.
5. Starting computer education
The school started computer education in the era of science and technology. IT-friendly teaching and learning process attract students.
6. Beginning of yoga and meditation education
After coming to this school as a yoga instructor, Dr. Madhusudan Lamichhane, a teacher of theoretical and experimental knowledge, yoga, and physical development, the practice of teaching and practicing yoga and meditation has begun in the students.
7 Formation of sister club every day
The Sister’s Club started to provide free sanitary pads to the part of the menu and the non-readers as administrators, keeping in mind the monthly problems of the students studying in this school.
8. Library arrangements
A textbook alone cannot provide enough knowledge to the learner, a systematic library of books worth about four hundred thousand rupees to establish a child-friendly library for intellectual development.
Ratna Rajya Secondary School provides up to Secondary School level education with moderate fee structures and a scholarship scheme for deserving students.
- Construction of new buildings
- Construction of conference hall
- Construction of Cafeteria,
- Construction of a new drinking water system
- Commencement of teaching through English
- Construction of a child-friendly environment
- A division of house and additional activities
- The triangular relationship between teachers, parents and students, teachers and students’ clothing.
- Ten Plus Two (+2) Education
- Ten Plus Two (+2) Humanities
- Ten Plus Two (+2) Management
There are more than 2000 students getting quality education from Play Group to grade 12.
7. Tarun Secondary School (TSS), Kathmandu / तरुण माध्यमिक विद्यालय
Tarun Secondary School is a community-based school that was established in 1973 AD (2030 BS) a located in Balaju, Kathmandu. It is affiliated with the National Examination Board (NEB) and approved by the Ministry of Education.
The school offers educational programs from ECD to Grade 10. There are 1948 Students and 63 qualified teaching and non-teaching staff.
TSS provides quality education in moderate fee structures with a scholarship scheme for deserving students.
- Science Lab
- ECA, etc.