Li Xi, born in October 1956 in the Gansu Province, specifically in Liangdang County of the People’s Republic of China, is a Chinese politician whose illustrious career has extended over several decades within the ranks of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
His political odyssey is marked by pivotal milestones and significant appointments, underscoring his enduring commitment and influence within the party.
Table of Contents
Li Xi’s Early Life and Career Entry
Li Xi was born in October 1956 in Liangdang County, Gansu Province. He embarked on his political journey when he entered the workforce in July 1975 and subsequently became a formal member of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in January 1982.
He pursued his education at Northwest Normal University, laying the foundation for his political future.
Li Xi’s Career Progression in Northwest China
Li Xi’s early political career saw him working as a dedicated functionary in the provincial propaganda department of the Gansu party organization.
During this period, he held various positions within Gansu, including serving as the Party Secretary of Xigu District in the provincial capital, Lanzhou, Deputy Party Secretary of Lanzhou, and Party Secretary of Zhangye prefecture.
Prominent Role in Yan’an
2006, Li Xi was appointed Party Secretary of Yan’an in the neighboring Shaanxi province. Yan’an holds immense significance in the history of the Communist Party, as it was the site of Mao Zedong’s revolutionary base following the Long March.
Transition to Shanghai and Liaoning
In 2011, Li Xi was transferred to Shanghai, where he assumed the role of Director of the municipality’s Organization Department, subsequently becoming the Deputy Party Secretary.
On May 5, 2014, he was relocated to Liaoning province in Northeast China, taking on the position of Acting Governor and Deputy Party Secretary, replacing the outgoing Governor, Chen Zhenggao.
Later that year, he was officially confirmed by the provincial legislature as the Governor, a role he held until May 8, 2015.
On May 4, 2015, he succeeded Wang Min as the Communist Party Secretary of Liaoning, becoming the highest-ranking official in the province.
Prominence and Leadership Roles
Li Xi’s political influence continued to grow, leading to his appointment as a member of the Politburo of the Chinese Communist Party at the 19th Party Congress.
On October 28, 2017, shortly after the party congress, Li Xi was transferred to the strategically crucial southern province of Guangdong, taking over as the Provincial Party Secretary from Hu Chunhua.
Elevation to the Politburo Standing Committee
Following his ascension to the Politburo Standing Committee, Li Xi passed the torch to Huang Kunming on October 28, 2022, who succeeded him as the Party Secretary of Guangdong.
In October 2022, after the first plenary session of the 20th CPC Central Committee, Li Xi was appointed to the 20th Politburo Standing Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, marking the pinnacle of his political career.
Li Xi is acknowledged as a close and trusted associate of Xi Jinping, who serves as the General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and the President of the People’s Republic of China.
Throughout his career, he has held various positions within the CCP, from alternate member of the 17th and 18th Central Committees to serving as a full member of the 19th and 20th Central Committees, further underscoring his influential role within the party.
Li Xi’s career milestones in time frame
- Member, 19th CPC Central Committee, Politburo
- Member, 19th CPC Central Committee
- Secretary, CPC Provincial Committee, Guangdong Province
- Director, Provincial People’s Congress, Liaoning Province
- Secretary, CPC Provincial Committee, Liaoning Province
- Member, CPC Provincial Committee, Standing Committee, Liaoning Province
- Acting Governor, People’s Government, Liaoning Province
- Deputy Secretary, CPC Provincial Committee, Liaoning Province
- Deputy Secretary, CPC Municipal Committee, Shanghai Municipality
- Member, 18th CPC Central Committee, Central Commission for Discipline Inspection
- Alternate Member, 18th CPC Central Committee
- President, CPC Municipal Committee, Party School, Shanghai Municipality
- Director, CPC Municipal Committee, Organization Department, Shanghai Municipality
- Alternate Member, 17th CPC Central Committee
- Chairman, City People’s Congress, Standing Committee, Shaanxi Province, Yan’an City
- Secretary, CPC City Committee, Shaanxi Province, Yan’an City
- Secretary-General, CPC Provincial Committee, Shaanxi Province
- Member, CPC Provincial Committee, Standing Committee, Shaanxi Province
These bullet points provide a clear and concise overview of Li Xi’s career and his positions over the years.